Wizzard of Oz
The Wizzard of Oz is the name I eventually gave to a cocktail that I created in early 2007, while at a house party. I wanted something interesting and vaguely orange-flavoured, so I added a shot of most of the clear liqueurs on the table to some orange juice then added some lemonade to sweeten it. A colour-changing shot of blue curaçao later and the Wizzard was born.
The name came from the fact that the drink is a greenish colour (which made me think of the Emerald City from the Wizard of Oz) combined with the atrocious spelling of Rincewind from the Discworld books.
This drink is extremely alcoholic, and if made correctly it tastes like a fizzy orange drink (orange Fanta, say) and not at all alcoholic. I take no responsibility for any health issues or other problems that may arise from drinking this cocktail. Be careful and responsible!
For this one pint cocktail, you will need:
- 1 shot clear triple sec (e.g. Cointreau)
- 1 shot blue Curaçao liqueur (e.g. Bols Blue)
- 1 shot gin (e.g. Gordon's)
- 1 shot Martini Bianco
- 1 shot vodka (e.g. Absolut)
- 1 shot white rum (e.g. Bacardi)
- Orange juice (no bits)
- Lemonade (clear, not cloudy)
- Pint glass (or skiff, etc)
- Cocktail umbrellas, swizzle sticks, or any other decorations
- Add some ice to the bottom of the glass
- Add the clear shots (everything except the Curaçao)
- Fill to about 1⁄2 – 1⁄3 of the way from the top with lemonade
- Fill almost to the brim with orange juice
- Gently pour the Curaçao into the mix, which should give you a nice fade from orange at the bottom to green at the top
- Add decorations, etc.
- Drink … but carefully.
Note that you can adjust the relative amounts of the orange juice and lemonade to taste. In an emergency, sugar may be added to sweeten the drink if too much orange juice has been added.
Enjoy! Let me know what you think of it, and feel free to send pictures, comments, etc to the name of the cocktail (wizzard) at (@) this domain (dmi.me.uk).